For my Project "Fenja" I have created a first candle and a material.
Following steps were made
1. Create base shape in Blender
2. Export base shape to ZBrush
3. Scultped candle with detals
4. Imported back into Blender, decimation, uv unwrap and final touches
5. Import into UE4 + material creation
The material does not use any textures. Everything is calculated from the UV coordinates which are laid out in an rectangular system. Each quadrant represent a specific part of the candle. UV coordinates are then used to filter out specific regions for final coloration.
The material also does not use translucency, The flame at the wick is modified through pixel depth offset.